To sum up this review in a word, the Clarisonic Mia is...BRILLIANT. Having said that, please read on for a more comprehensive review.
I received the Mia as a gift at Christmas from my dad. He purchased it at Sephora for $149.
The set features:
- Clarisonic Mia One Speed Brush
- International pLink™ charger for worldwide use
- Sensitive Brush Head
- 1.0 oz Gentle Hydro Cleanser
Here's what the company claims:
The sonic frequency moves Clarisonic's soft, gentle brush back and forth at more than 300 times per second, thoroughly clearing pores and skin surface.
Here are some of the benefits this revolutionary skincare tool delivers:
- Removes makeup six times better than traditional methods.
- Clears pores and reduces the appearance of pore size.
- Cleanses so thoroughly that skincare products absorb better.
- Creates noticeably healthier looking skin.
After receiving the gift on December 25th, I literally ran home from my dad's house to plug in the charger as I could not wait to get started. The pLink charger magnetically attaches to the handle. Prior to your initial use, the directions instruct you to charge the Mia handle for 24 hours. After this, the unit maintains a charge for 20 minutes of use.
After what seemed to be a very long 24 hours (yes, I was that excited to begin), I followed the manual's instructions and moved the brush along my face in small circular motions. The Mia will automatically shut off after one minute. The guidlines suggest you use the Mia on the following area:
Forehead- 20 seconds
Cheek-10 seconds each
Nose/Chin- 20 seconds
My Skin Type:
Oily year-round (particularly in the T-Zone)
Occasional hormonal breakouts
Large Pores on my cheeks
My face felt smooth after the first use. I enjoyed the sensation of the brush heads gently massaging my skin. However, I was quite expecting my cheeks to be glowing pink, but that didn't happen. Initially, this disappointed me. Perhaps because I regularly exfoliate and/or utilize an at-home micro-dermabrasion cream, I thought the Mia might not work for me. Was it conceivable that I needed the regular brush head as opposed to the sensitive brush head the unit came with? Hence, that night, I pushed and pressed the Mia into my face as I cleansed. The next morning I woke to several tiny broken capillaries on my cheeks. Lesson learned, I no longer pressed the brush into my skin, but rather allowed the unit to gently glide over my face (as the manual states).
After One Week of Usage (2x daily):
Lo and behold, my skin was already starting to look fabulous. My skin-tone was more even in its appearance. My pores appeared tighter and less visible. My skin seemed to be less oily overall.
After One Month of Continual Usage (mainly 2x daily):
It amazes me how a company that didn't make sweeping grandiose claims about its product, produced a product that gives me MAGNIFICENT results. Overall, here are the benefits my skin has received from using the Mia:
- My skin is bright and even-toned
- My skin is much less oily (as I matter of fact, I might be so bold to now say that I have NORMAL skin as opposed to oily)
- My pores appear minimized
- My skin is soft and silky smooth in texture
- Past scarring from old pimples has diminished greatly
- Much less of a need for foundation and/or concealer- as a matter of fact, I prefer to now use a foundation with light coverage to allow my skin to shine through
- My skin care products seem to be working better. I adore using my Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair at night right after cleansing for glowy, fresh skin the next morning.
- *Greatly minimized a scar on the back of my hand (see reference below under tips/tricks)
- The only real downside here is the affordability factor. I suggest searching the internet for the best deal. There are much cheaper alternatives than Sephora. Also, when speaking about the price, it should be noted that the company recommends replacing the brush head every 3-4 months.
- On another note, I did notice that using the Mia 2x a day was making my skin the slightest bit dry (I am not even sure how that's possible considering how oily I am). However, I now alternate days where I use the Mia 1x a day one day, and then 2x a day the next. This has given me perfect results.
- I use my Mia in the shower several times a week (the unit is waterproof and safe to use in the shower) to give my neck and decolletage a proper exfoliation. When I apply my body moisturizer directly after, that area feels like silk.
- I scrub my lips with the Mia 1x a day. They are plump and pouty and soft. I use a lip balm immediately thereafter.
- *I use the Mia on the back of my hands 1x a day. I mainly started doing this because I have a scar on the back of my hand that I was hoping to lighten the appearance of. Sure enough, not only has the unit done that, it also makes my hands appear more youthful and has certainly minimized the pores there too.
- While I haven't done so yet, I would like to purchase one for my children. I have two little boys and they hate washing their face- I think this would make it fun for them (considering they absolutely love to brush their teeth since they got their Spin brushes). Perhaps it would be good for your children too (of course with the sensitive brush head).
I wanted to mention that I use the Mia with Dr. Ohhira's Probiotic Soap (occasionally I will use it with other products like the Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion cream). I have yet to use the cleanser the unit came with as I have read splotchy reviews on it.
Overall, I could not be more impressed with my Clarisonic Mia. If you have been on the fence about trying it, I hope this review has provided you with some insight.
On another note, I do hide my Mia every night from my husband. He loves to peruse my products and often dips his hands into my eye creams, moisturizers, and even self-tanner! He has had his eyes on this little gem for some time.- maybe I'll splurge and get him one for his birthday.
I would love to hear from you if you have used the Mia or are thinking of getting one. Please share your thoughts.